FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME

Two minor sports teams played Yale on Saturday and within the next two weeks the others will have completed their schedules with similar encounters. It is quite possible that the undergraduate committee which has been appointed to investigate the question of a possible revision of minor sports awards, and which is incidentally made up of four seniors connected with major sports, may turn to the outcome of these contests as one of the few concrete indications of whether the present conditions merit change.

A number of years ago this system of awarding the small minor H to those teams that defeated Yale and also won three quarters of their scheduled contests was adopted. At the time this was an intelligent forward step but with the change in the attitude of undergraduates which has taken place recently it has become completely antiquated. Today men are primarily interested in playing the game, and although the desire to win is naturally still a vital factor in all athletic encounters it is not the completely dominant one that it once was.

The Athletic Association has shown that it realized this change in its new method of choosing coaches. Where it has been possible there has been a definite attempt in the past year to appoint young coaches who make up for a possible lack of technical knowledge with an increase in interest in the sport. The success of this policy has been strikingly shown in the number of men who turned out for lacrosse this spring and its adoption in other sports will undoubtedly show the same results.

To be in keeping with such a definite policy and with the gradual increase in equipment of minor sports some revision in the status of awards towards the adoption of a uniform not dependent on the season's scores should be forthcoming at the June meeting of the Athletic Committee which will consider the question.