CENSURE WHERE IT IS DUE

The reverberations from the last transoceanic flight have almost died away: three aviators have added their names to the list of men who have accomplished one of the hardest feats in flying. Heroes for a few days, they now drop into the background, and the public awaits expectantly the next display of courage and ability.

And yet one boy, who contributed nothing to the success of the trip and almost turned it to disaster, writes his own account of the flight and the American people read it avidly, admire his nerve, and save up confetti for his reception when he returns to New York. The French aviators have shown almost unbelievable restraint and courtesy towards Schrieber, but that surely does not justify our dismissal of his action in endangering the lives of three men in a foolhardy gesture.

If we continue to place a premium on such action, and take no steps to punish it, future transatlantic planes will have to be built with special cabins for stowaways, and Congress will have to establish some new honor to confer on such people. On the other hand if Schrieber received a jail sentence or a heavy fine, which would offset the thousands he is making now, the danger of the recurrence of such actions would be greatly lessened.