COMMENCEMENT

"Harvard University today conferred 1800 degrees, the largest number in its history, at the Commencement exercises held in Sever Quadrangle, which brought to a close its Two Hundred and Ninety-first year." So reads the opening paragraph of Harvard's annual assertion of intellectual energy.

"Of these, 632 went to undergraduates in Harvard College, 501 receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts (187 with honors), and 131 that of Bachelor of Science (34 with honors). Thus more than one-third, or over 30 percent, of those graduating in Harvard College, received honors in studies."

How clearly the corollary statement illumines the whole. The growth of Harvard to meet the demands of a country interested in education could easily mean sacrifice of standards, of that atmosphere of scholarly calm and intellectual poise, so often alien to the popular mechanics of education. Harvard has developed height as well as breadth. With more exacting requirements than ever in her history, the College of Arts and Sciences, real and necessary center of an American university, has this startling record of undergraduate fidelity to intellectual interests.

This June day of 1927 is, then, an epic moment in an epic history. President Lowell can well be proud of the Harvard he has brought to what the ancient Greeks would have called a state of "happiness." Harvard can well be proud of the leader under whose vigorous, yet quiet direction, she has attained such pleasant heights.

No one could doubt her perseverance in maintaining those heights, or in venturing beyond them. Those who do not understand a popular phrase concerning "indifference" need but read this latest benediction of Harvard upon American education. Harvard is "indifferent", indifferent to mediocrity.

Yet no internal comment, such as this of the CRIMSON, can remain at on true to Harvard and completely jingoistic. The core of these quoted paragraphs defines itself in terms of a larger entity than Harvard: it defines itself in terms of American education.

Those who let the jaundice of an imperfect understanding color their views of university education should find here an excellent tonic. If 221 Seniors at Harvard are willing to consider seriously the intellectual advantages of a degree with honors, the number of those in America who would, under similar circumstances of inspiration and freedom, do the name is legion.