YALE WINS AT NEW HAVEN 16-1

Pounds Five Crimson Twirlers to Take Hectic Battle

In winning Tuesday's game before a New Haven Commencement crowd of 9000. Yale's baseball team clouted five Crimson hurlers for a total of 20 hits and 16 runs, while the Cambridge nine was able to convert 11 hits into only one tally.

Altogether 31 players, 15 from Yale and 16 from Harvard, took part in a game played under scorching hot conditions which virtually exhausted the battery men. The Blue won by jumping on Whitmore in the fourth when he was nearly overcome with heat, and continuing to drub the offerings of Ketchum, Colpak, Molloy and Prior mercilessly throughout the remainder of the game. Coach Mitchell refused to send either of his star sophomore twirlers, MacHale or Page to the hill, preferring to reserve them for duty in Cambridge.

The Elis picked up a trio of counters in the opening frame and increased their lead to four in the third. The fourth found the Harvard team scoring its only run on a play which was bitterly disputed by the Blue leader, Garvey, and his mates. Ticknor and Donaghy singled in succession placing a man on first and second. Bassett then dumped one down to third and Aldrich in fielding it collided with Ticknor and lost the ball. Ticknor continued in as the Blue third baseman chased the pellet into left field. Yale's claim of interference was disallowed, and the run counted.

In their half of the frame the Blue warriors took revenge by pounding out four markers and sending Whitmore to the cool showers. He was succeeded by Ketchum who struggled along until the seventh when he gave way to a pinch hitter. In this frame seven more tallies rounded out the Blue total and brought first baseman Prior to the mound. He finished the game in good fashion.

The heavy guns in the Eli attack were Vincent, with a triple, double and two singles, and Walker with a triple and a brace of singles, while Captain Garvey's fielding of nine chances without an error featured.

The real fielding sensations though were provided by Bassett, diminutive Crimson centerfielder, who made two seemingly impossible catches in the fifth to gain the biggest hand of the entire game.

The summary: YALE   a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e. Grove, c.f.  5  2  2  0  0  0 Garvey, 2b.  5  2  2  5  6  0 Billhardt, 2b.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Walker, l.f.  6  3  3  2  0  0 Robertson, l.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Quinn, l.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Vincent, 1b.  5  3  4  11  0  0 Holahan, r.f.  5  1  2  2  0  0 Jennison, r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Snead, r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Aldrich, 3b.  5  2  2  2  2  0 Hoben, c.  3  1  1  3  1  0 Linehan, c.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Taylor, s.s.  4  2  2  2  2  0 Sawyer, p.  4  0  2  0  0  0 42  16  20  27  11  0 HARVARD   a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e. Nugent, 2b.  4  0  1  7  4  0 McGrath, s.s.  4  0  3  5  5  1 Gilligan, r.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Ticknor, l.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0 Donaghy, 3b.  4  0  3  0  1  0 Prior, 1b., p.  4  0  1  3  1  0 *Bassett, c.f.  3  0  2  2  0  1 *Whitney,  1  0  0  0  0  0 Dudley, c.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Batchelder, c.  1  0  0  0  0  0 Whitmore, p.  2  0  0  0  0  0 **Ketchum, p.  0  0  0  0  0  0 **Durkee, p.  1  0  0  0  0  0 Colpak, p.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Molloy, p.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Todd, 1b.  1  0  0  2  0  0 36  1  11  24  11  2

*Batted for Basset in ninth.

**Batted for Ketchum in seventh. Yale  3  0  1  1  0  1  7  0  X--16 Harvard  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0--1

Three-base hits--Walker, Vincent. Two-base hits--Vincent, Holahan, Hoben. Stolen base--Grove. Sacrifice hit--Sawyer. Double plays--Grove and Vincent, Nugent, McGrath, and Todd. Base on balls--off Whitmore 2, off Ketchum 3, off Colpak, off Molloy. Struck out--by Sawyer 2, by Whitmore 2. Hits--off Whitmore 9 in 3 1-3 innings, off Ketchum 4 in 2 2-3 innings, off Colpak 2 in 0 innings (none out in 7th), off Molloy 3 in 0 innings (none out in 7th), off Prior 2 in 2 innings. Losing pitcher Whitmore. Umpires--Devron and Finnell. Time--2 hrs., 37 min.

*Batted for Basset in ninth.