University Track and Field Forces Elect Mason to Lead 1930 Team

Thomas Frothingham Mason '30 of Brooklyn, New York was elected Captain of the University track team at the meeting held yesterday in Notman's Studio for the taking of the squad picture.

The newly elected Captain who succeeds J. L. Reid '29, prepared at Milton Academy, and has been prominent in track athletics throughout his three years in college. He was a star sprinter on his Freshman team, running both dashes and also participating in the broad jump.

For the past two years he has run in the sprint events for the University team, placing second in the 220 and third in the century in his first Yale meet. This season he has been the leading sprinter on the squad, finishing a close second in both dashes to Morin, the Holy Cross star in the opening meet of the season. His outstanding performance of the year, however, came in the Dartmouth meet three weeks ago, when having already won the century, he outclassed the five Dartmouth entries in the furlong to take first place and win the meet for the Crimson.

In the meet with the Blue at New Haven he took a second in the 220, but through an error on the part of the judges, failed to place in the 100, although crossing the line at the heels of Kieselhorst the Yale star and ahead of both A. E. French '29, and MacDonald, who were awarded second and third places. French conceded his position on the team making the trip to the intercollegiate at Philadelphia to the 1930 man, and it is expected that the newly elected Captain and Kieselhorst of Yale will be the pair to compete against the representative sprinters of Oxford and Cambridge in the meet in the Stadium on July 13.

In addition to his track prowess, Mason is a fine football man, starring at halfback in his Freshman and Sophomore years. Last fall he was incapacitated most of the season by an injury to his arm which kept him from active play for the greater part of the season.