FAMOUS FOREIGN PROFESSORS WILL TEACH THIS YEAR

Robin, Rosseland, Todd and Nock Will Deliver Lectures During First Half Year at Harvard

Twelve outstanding lecturers, most of them professors in their home countries, come from abroad to teach at Harvard University during the coming year--according to an announcement made at University Hall yesterday.

The most notable visitor is undoubtedly Heathcote William Garrod, Professor of Poetry at Oxford since 1923 as he will hold the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry, endowed by the late C. C. Stillman '98 four years ago. This chair was not filled last year owing to the fact that University authorities were slow in seeking a man to fill it. Professor Garrod is believed to be the equal of the two previous holders of the chair, Professors Gilbert Murray and Eric M. D. Maclagan.

Professor Garrod at present is a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford and also is a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. In 1917 he visited the United States as a member of the Special Labour Mission, and in the following year held the portfolio of the Assistant Secretary of the Ministry of Reconstruction in England.

Henri Guy Will Visit

Henri Guy, President of the University of Grenoble, will serve as the Exchange Professor from France for the first half year. He was Exchange Professor from France in 1921 when Dean of the University of Toulouse, and recently published the concluding volume of his work on French poetry of the sixteenth century.

William Hung, Professor of History in Yenching University, China, will lecture here on Chinese History. Otto Oldenburg, Professor of Physics at the University of Gottingen, Germany, will lecture on physics the first half year with special emphasis on molecular structure and band spectra.

From the Sorbonne, Paris, France Monsieur Leon Robin, Professor of Ancien Philosophie, comes to Harvard to lecture during the first half year on Plato's Symposium and the philosophy of Plato. Wolfgang Liepe will come from the University of Kiel to lecture on the life and work of Hebbel and to give a graduate course in the poetry of the 18th century in Germany.

Sven Rosseland, professor of Astronomy and Director of the Observatory at Oslo, comes to Harvard to lecture throughout this year and to work in the Harvard Observatory. He will give a course in cosmic physics, and will lecture before the course in Descriptive Astronomy. Although only 33 years of age, he is renowned as an accomplished mathematician and an outstanding astrophysicist.

Todd Returns

Otis J. Todd '06, professor of Greek at the University of British Columbia, comes to Harvard for the year 1929-30 as lecturer in Greek and Latin. B. Humphrey Sumner, tutor in Modern History at Balliol College. Oxford, comes to Harvard as lecturer in history.

Arthur Darby Nock, lecturer on the Classics at Clare College, Cambridge University, comes to Harvard for the first year as lecturer on the History of Religions. Dr. Tibor Rads, of Saeged. Hungary, will conduct a course in the elementary theory of differential equations and a graduate course in minimal surfaces.