JURISTS SPEAK AT LANGDELL EXERCISES

Two Foreign Legal Scholars Honored at Ceremonies--Pound's Portrait is Presented to President Lowell

The largest law school building in the world was formally opened yesterday at the University before a distinguished throng which included some of the leading lawyers and jurists of this country, as well as representatives from many of the law schools of the United States and foreign countries.

Honorary degrees were awarded to two foreign legal scholars by the Harvard Law School. The recipients of these honorary doctorships of law were William W. Buckland, president of Caius and Gonville colleges, Cambridge, England, Regius professor of Civil Law at Cambridge University and one of the outstanding authorities of the world on Roman Law, and Perey H. Winfield. Rouse Professor of English Law at Cambridge.

President Lowell Opens Ceremonies

The ceremonies were conducted in the court room of the new Langdell Hall. President Lowell opened the exercises with a brief welcome, and after pointing out the need for trained lawyers in our present day civilization, called on Roscoe Pound Dean of the Law School and a member of President Hoover's Law Enforcement Commission.

After Dean Pound's address, Stoughton Bell, a Cambridge lawyer and member of the Harvard Law Association, presented to President Lowell a portrait of Dean Pound painted by Charles Hopkinson of Boston. Under Secretary of State Joseph P. Cotton in his speech to the assemblage pointed out the unique role being played in American legal teaching by the Harvard Law School and urged the need for disinterested advice on the part of legal authorities to statesmen and others who formulate the country's laws.

Dr. Julius Kornis, secretary of state in the Royal Hungarian Ministry of Public Instruction, then presented the University with an old and rare collection of Hungarian decrees on law and government.