WYGANT TO HEAD NAVAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT

L. J. WILTSIE WILL CONTINUE AS ASSISTANT PROFESSOR

Captain B. B. Wygant, U. S. N., has been detailed to duty as Professor of Naval Science and Tactics at Harvard. Captain Wygant will be in charge of the Naval Science Department and four of the five members of his teaching staff will be new to the College. The names of three of his assistants have just been made public, the fourth has not yet been made known, and Lieutenant Commander L. J. Wiltsie, who served throughout the year 1928-29, will again be an assistant professor of Naval Science and Tactics.

Captain Benyaurd Bourne Wygant entered the Naval Academy in 1897 and served as a Midshipman in the Cuban Blockading Squadron in 1898. In 1904 he commanded a landing party of bluejackets and marines that was landed in San Domingo to safeguard American and foreign interests during a revolution. He saw service in the Gulf of Mexico in 1904 and commanded the Destroyer Tucker, which was in the second group to reach Queenstown, Ireland, in May, 1917, and operated from Queenstown and later on escort duty in the North Atlantic. In June, 1929, after two years spent in Central American waters, he was detached from command of the U. S. S. Cleveland and assigned to duty at Harvard. He has had two tours of duty as instructor at the Naval Academy and two as a member of the Staff of the Naval War College.

Mackay Well Trained

Three other newcomers are in Cambridge for the opening of Harvard's courses in Naval Science, Lieutenant W. E. Mackay, Lieutenant R. W. Berry, and Lieutenant, Junior Grade, R. B. McRight. Lieutenant Mackay was attached to bases in Ireland and France during the World War. He has seen service in the Philippines and China, and served tours of duty at the U. S. Naval Academy and the Naval War College.

Lieutenant Berry enlisted in the U. S. Marines in 1914 and served through the Haitian campaign of 1915-16. He served a Midshipman's cruise on the U. S. S. Wisconsin during the World War, and was graduated from Annapolis in 1921.

Lieutenant McRight graduated from the U. S. Naval Academy in 1923. He was attached to the U. S. S. Case from July 5, 1923, to July, 1927.