The Engineer Speaks

One of the first questions that enters the mind of a student at the Institute as he reads of the House Plan to be put into effect at Harvard this coming year is why engineering students are not to be admitted to the houses. Just why have men studying technical subjects been discriminated against?

The only reason brought to light by a reading of the different accounts of the plan is that the engineering school is not to be considered a part of the college. There have been rumors at infrequent intervals of making this department an entirely separate graduate school. However, this is not the case at the present time and there seems to be no possibility of it being the cases within the next few years.

Organizing the students into a more compact group and promoting democracy, along with the installation of a tutorial system similar to that at Oxford is the primary purpose of the House Plan.

Here at the Institute it can readily be seen that the students do, think, and act in the same way as men attending academic colleges. We have athletics, publications, fraternities, dramatics, school spirit and traditions, social life; in fact everything that goes to make up a college. There seem to be no points that differentiate engineers from other students to such an extent that they should not be permitted to enjoy the advantages, if any, of a House Plan. --The Tech.