MEDICAL PROFESSOR TO DO RESEARCH IN MEXICO

Shattuck to Study Prevailing Ills, High Mortality in Yucatan

Dr. G. C. Shattuck '01, assistant professor of Tropical Medicine at the Harvard Medical School, and his assistant, B. L. Bennett sailed on January 13 for Yucatan. They will be gone several months and will conduct an investigation for the Department of Tropical Medicine of the Carnegie Institute.

Dr. Shattuck has been studying the prevailing diseases in Yucatan and the cause of high mortality. He already has determined that the high rate of mortality is due particularly to intestinal diseases, and that a great deal of the infection is caused by contaminated water supplies. On the present expedition Dr. Shattuck will continue his studies, begun last year, to investigate the susceptibility of the Indian to certain blood diseases. He will study the basic metabolism of the aborigines.

Other members of the expedition are Dr. A. V. Kidder '08, Carnegie Institute Archeologist, and H. B. Roberts, of the Carnegie Institute. Dr. Kidder conducted excavations in New Mexico for Harvard in 1908 and became Austin Teaching Fellow in 1910 and again in 1912 in 1914 he became Curator of North American Archeology at the Peabody Museum and conducted excavations at Pecos, New Mexico, for Phillips Andover Academy. He is the author of several books among which are "Basket-maker Caves of Northeastern Arizona" and "Introduction to Southwestern Archeology."