OFFER HARVARD $40,000 FOR THE STUDY OF PROHIBITION

Amos W. W. Woodcock '12, national prohibition enforcement head, yesterday advocated the establishment of a number of scholarships, preferably at Harvard and the University of Wisconsin, to encourage the study of prohibition in regard to the economic life of America.

Woodcock, who is an United States attorney for the district of Maryland, said he had a fund of $40,000 at his disposal, part of which was available to endow the scholarships.

The prohibition director was prompted to make the offer after he had made a study of theses written at the University of Wisconsin on economic effects of prohibition while in the service of the government, he declared yesterday.

Harvard authorities said last night that they knew nothing of the offer, and declined to make any comments on the matter. President Glenn Frank of the University of Wisconsin declared that he would not condemn the plan as contributory to prohibition propaganda, nor would he look upon it as being worth research until he was in possession of all the facts regarding the matter.

Woodcock stated that graduate students could, he believed, make accurate surveys on prohibition; he said he was not interested in obtaining propaganda concerning it.