McNAIR PESSIMISTIC OVER CONDITION OF ENGLAND

"DISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH DOES NOT MAKE WEALTH"

"In England the business community regards with apprehension the extension of the dole under the present Labor government and a steady increase in unemployment", stated Associate Professor of Marketing of the Business School M. P. McNair when interviewed yesterday. Professor McNair has just returned from a short vacation in Europe and is pessimistic about the political and economic conditions in England for the future.

"The heavy income taxes are sapping business initiative already weakened by too much regard for tradition", he continued, "and under these conditions banking and business circles are noticeably swinging to the advocacy of a tariff as a possible means of stimulating British production. Even among the trade unions this point of view is beginning to gain adherents. Therefore, if the Conservative party should be returned to power at a general election at any time within the next two years it is quite possible that the tariff experiment will be tried in spite of the Britishers traditional opposition to taxes on imported foodstuffs.

"The Labor party, however, in event of its return to power with a large number of seats presumably will continue to move in the direction of a general redistribution of wealth. The trouble with this program is that wealth is created only by productivity and productivity in Britain has been for some time distinctly sub-normal."