ENGLISHMEN HERE TO VISIT WIDENER

Study Being Made of Arrangement and Cataloguing System -- Design Also Under Scrutiny

As part of a tour of American libraries, yesterday morning a delegation of five Englishmen arrived here to study Harvard's libraries. These men, sent by Cambridge University, will stay until tomorrow afternoon, when they will proceed to Boston, to look at the Public Library.

The group is headed by Sir Giles G. Scott, Associate of the Royal Academy and Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, who, with Lady Scott, is a guest of President Lowell. With him are Alwyn F. Scholfield, Fellow of King's College and Librarian of Cambridge University, C. F. Cooper, Trinity Hall, Cambridge, who is syndic of the University Library, H. C. Stanford, St. John's College, secretary of the University library, and H. C. Marshall, Trinity College, secretary of the building board and connected with the library. The latter two men are staying as guests of Lowell House while the former two are staying in Dunster House.

This committee, sent by Cambridge University, is making a tour of prominent libraries in the United States, studying them from all points of view. The purpose of the trip is to procure all available data on American libraries, before the building of a new one for Cambridge University. While here, the visitors will look at Widener and the Baker Memorial libraries. Sir Scott, who is a prominent architect, is especially interested in American libraries from the standpoint of their construction; the group is also studying all mechanics of the buildings, such as the cataloguing and arrangement.

During the next week, a similar visit will be made by a group from Oxford, which is also studying libraries in America.