CRIMSON HARRIERS SCORE IMPRESSIVE WINS OVER BULLDOG

Brilliant Sophomore Beats Foote, Estes, Hallowell to Worsted -- 1934 Team Makes Clean Sweep

New Haven, Conn., October 31 -- For the seventh consecutive year, the Harvard University and Freshman cross country teams won a double-barrelled victory over the Blue, in the races held this afternoon at New Haven. The University team won nine of the first ten places, taking a 16 to 55 victory, while the Freshmen were victors by a perfect score, winning 15 to 50.

F. D. Murphy '33 was first to cross the line over a course which was very muddy and slippery, although the weather had cleared rather cold for the race. He was followed in succession by Arthur Foote '33. B. E. Estes '32, N. P. Hallowell '32, and the first Yale man to finish, Grist. Five more Harvard runners finished before Yale was able to continue scoring. Captain R. C. Aldrich '31, handicapped by a bad cold, was unable to place.

The Crimson first year harriers took the first five places. R. Estes '34, James Parton '34, T. A. Robinson '34, Captain A. B. Hallowell '34, and J. Estabrook '34, finished in the order named.

Poor Conditions Cause Slow Time

In the races yesterday afternoon, the best scores ever registered by Harvard cross country teams against Yale were made. Both Harvard teams succeeded in keeping together well. Poor running conditions were responsible for the unusually slow times: 33 min., 35 sec. for the University race, and 18 min., 32 sec. for the much shorter Freshman contest. The length of the University course is about 6 miles.

With the victory yesterday after- noon, the University team completed another undefeated season, winning victories over New Hampshire, Holy Cross, M. I. T., Dartmouth, and Yale. The Freshman team has been defeated only by New Hampshire.

In the Harvard Intercollegiate Cross Country Run, which was held yesterday afternoon over the flat course along the Charles River, Springfield was returned victor for the third successive year, thereby gaining permanent possession of the Dennis O'Connell cross country trophy.

Captain Chester Olmstead of the Springfield team was the first to cross the line, while the next four Springfield runners placed in sixth, seventh, tenth, and eleventh. The score of the meet was as follows: Springfield 35, Boston College 48, Holy Cross 70, Amherst 142, Harvard (entered informally), 166, Boston University 220, Massachusetts Aggies 226, Clark University 303, and Northeastern 321. The first Harvard man to finish placed seventeenth