Kowarsky Outlines History and Present Election Rules of Phi Beta Kappa--Elections Will Take Place November 17

The following article was written by A. L. Kowarsky '31, First Marshal of Phi Beta Kappa. It explains the electoral system used by that fraternity.

In 1776 the first chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Fraternity was founded at William and Mary College, with the furthering of scholarship and of intellectual achievement as its purpose. At Harvard, in 1779 the Alpha Chapter of Massachusetts and the third chapter of the country was chartered.

At the meeting of the undergraduate members November 17 each man who is eligible to Phi Beta Kappa is given a mathematical rating strictly on the basis of his record in courses taken at Harvard. (A-9, B-S, C-7, etc) Formerly transfer students were considered to have received a grade of C in courses taken elsewhere but this rule was waived in the election of June 1929. Questions of personality choice of courses and outside activities are for the most part not considered though they most part not considered though they may play a part in extremely close elections. The reports of the tutors and advisers of eligible students are also of some influence in determining close elections. Usually however the men leading in scholastic rank are chosen.

Until the June meet of 1928, Harvard elected a very small percentage of students to Phi Beta Kappa. At that time it was determined to raise the number of members in each class from 45 to 63. This means that now at Harvard as at most other universities where there are chapters about 10 per cent of each class makes Phi Beta Kappa in November 32 Seniors and eight Juniors are chosen by the Junior Fight of the proceeding year now the only undergraduate members of the fraternity. In June 25 more Seniors are elected from the men who have been recommended by the Faculty for degrees magna or summa cum laude Even with the increase in membership it is impossible to bring into the chapter all the men who receive a magna From this it is evident that the scholastic standard of the Harvard Chapter has not been Towered by the larger number of members rather there is a stronger incentive than before to aim for the degree magna cum laude.