WARD REVEALS FINDINGS OF EUGENIC RESEARCH

NATIONAL ORGINS BASIS PROVES TO BE THE FAIREST

Professor R. DeC. Ward '89, tutor and chairman of the Board of Freshman Advisers, is a member of a committee of experts that has been engaged in behalf of the American Eugenics Society for the preparation of a report on selective immigration which will be presented as a program for this body and will be recommended by it to the President, to Congress, and to the people at large. Among other members of the committee are Madison Grant, and Dr. H. H. Laughlin.

The committee has declared itself in favor of the "national-origins" basis for immigration now in effect. After a careful study of the workings of that plan, the committee decided that it was the most scientific basis yet devised, as well as the soundest and the fairest to all concerned.

The experts also favor the extension of the quota system now in force to the countries of the Western Hemisphere. The necessity of increasing the border patrols for the exclusion of aliens who at present are being smuggled into the United States in large numbers was also stressed.

The suggestion is made that some system of alien registration be put in force. Such a policy is to be found among European countries and seems to justify itself.

The final version of the report is almost ready but is yet to be passed upon by two members of the committee. According to a statement by Professor Ward, the actual date of publication is not yet known.