WINTER ROWING BEGINS AT NEWELL ON MONDAY

WHITESIDE URGES ASPIRANTS NOT TO FEAR INEXPERIENCE

With fall rowing at an end, Coach Whiteside has announced that work indoors will begin next Monday, when oarsmen report for short daily workouts at the Newell boathouse.

Three members of the Crimson coaching staff will be on duty this winter for indoor work: Coach Whiteside, Coach Haines of the Freshman eight, and Kenneth Hall, who has hitherto directed the work of the dormitory oarsmen. He assisted Coach Haines this fall with inexperienced first-year oarsmen, and will probably take up dormitory coaching again in the spring.

While winter rowing does not serve to keep oarsmen in the pink of condition, it nevertheless affords the coach an opportunity to criticize and correct individual flaws in oarsmanship which would otherwise go unnoticed. "I want as many candidates for crews as possible." said Coach Whiteside. "Inexperienced Freshmen, in particular, should come out. Often a man who has never rowed before will show his ability during winter rowing; there has always been at least one man on the University eight each year who, when he came to Harvard, had never rowed before. Freshmen should come out, whether they have experience or not."

Work during the winter on a crew in the tank or on the machines fulfills the requirements for Physical Training for Freshmen, if taken regularly three times a week. Coach Whiteside expressed himself as well pleased with the results of the fall season.