Chicago Ride

THE PRESS

For a month or so the Harvard, daily, the Crimson, has drawn attention by criticism of activities having a patriotic background or purpose. It referred to the American Legion convention in Boston as a brawl. Latter it said that the courses in naval and military science were unworthy of the university and a haven and refuge for dull and lazy students. The young editors are impatient in observation of nationalism and its manifestations.

Many schools apparently produce cults in which the virtue of loyalty is regarded as primitive and unintelligent and patriotism the refuge of the feebleminded. This has considered pedagogical encouragement and inspiration, and young people, highly conscious of their liberalism, respond actively. That old notions are discreditable may be quite apparent to young liberals who may be more certain of themselves now than they will be later.

Harvard has had a great record in these loyalties, although Memorial hall, which symbolized some of them, seems to have faded out of the uses of the university. Older Harvard men found something worthly in the tablets of its transept, but probably the editors of the Crimson would be bored. The young liberals are naturally the most vocal of student groups and may give an impression of a university which its normal thought does not support, but the impression is created of immaturity manifest as snobbery. If it should be a reflection of an entire student body it would question the worth of the contribution to citizenship later. Chicago Tribune.