Harvey Explains Purpose and Need for Informal Composition Course--Numerous Volunteers Enrolled in English F This Year

"The course in English F is steadily approaching that purpose for which it was intended--it is becoming a voluntary course rather than a prescribed one," declared S. W. Harvey, instructor in English F in a recent interview.

English F is listed in the catalogue as a course open, without formal enrollment, to students who desire special instruction in writing English. The statement also appears that it may be prescribed for students whose use of English is unsatisfactory. Mr. Harvey feels that the last statement is overrated. He said, "Even though the course is listed as prescribed we have almost as many students who elected the course this year as we have men required to take it as a result of poor English on examinations." So far, about 20 men have been reported, but 15 are taking the course voluntarily, two of whom took it last year.

"Because the requirements in English A were raised last year, most of the students in English F are those who failed in the other course, as two years ago it was ruled that those who were deficient in Freshman English would have to take English F, rather than a regular three-hour course for one semester. These, however, must be ruled as a sort of special case, Naturally enough, they are ones who do most of the cutting and object to the work."

English F does not count toward a degree, nor is attendance required, except for those who are reported to the Committee on the Use of English and those making up their deficiencies in English A. No credit is given in any way, and there is no tuition fee. Most of the instruction is given by J. J. Ryan, assistant, and Mr. Harvey.

"Harvard was the first institution to establish this sort of course," continued Mr. Harvey, "and last year, when Mr. A. J. McMullen had charge of things, numerous letters asking for information were received. The need of informal instruction has not only been felt in Harvard, but also in other universities.

"The Committee on the Use of English, which keeps a check on the use of English by students, reports objectionable cases to me, but the Committee is not in any sense constantly on the lookout for cases of bad English, as has been rumored. Many of those so reported have really taken an interest in the work and continued in the course when it was no longer necessary."