FLEXNER RAPS THE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

Columbia and Chicago Also Accused of "Teaching Rubbish"--Dean Baker Makes No Statement

Dr. Abraham Flexner, director of the Institute of Advance Study in Newark, N. J., in a new book just published, criticizes American universities for teaching "rubbish", and charges that the Harvard School of Business Administration is undertaking to "short circuit" experience, according to an announcement made yesterday in New York City.

Flexner, who was awarded a Master of Arts degree at Harvard in 1906 after spending a year in the Graduate Schools, declares that a school of business can never make business a profession in the sense that law and medicine are professions. He says that the Business School is Harvard's greatest offense. The Harvard motto "Veritas", he declares, may be some day changed to "Veritas et Ars Venditoria."

The new book is entitled "Universities--American, English, and German." It attacks not only Harvard but Columbia and the University of Chicago for trying to sell education at a profit. Flexner holds that English universities are seats of higher learning incomparably better than anything America has to offer.

No statement will be issued by the Business School in regard to the charges in this book. Dean J. C. Baker of the School replied yesterday. In regard to the "short circuiting" of experience, the book continues, "it is one thing for economists and sociologists to study the phenomena of business in a school of business or department of economics, but it is quite another thing . . . . for a modern university to undertake to 'short circuit' experience and to provide advertisers, salesmen or handy men for banks."