Worcester Urges Need of Bringing Stillman Infirmary Up to Date in Bulletin Article--Present Equipment is Inadequate

Plans to bring the Stillman Infirmary, which has become too small for the University, up to date and make it sufficient for present needs have been outlined by Alfred Worcester '78, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, in an article appearing today in the Harvard Alumni Bulletin.

It has been agreed by doctors practising in the infirmary and others interested in the problem that nothing short of a new building can bring the infirmary up to what it should be, Dr. Worcester's article states. A plan submitted by Messrs. Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch, and Abbot calls for a plant which would consist of three buildings connected by covered corridors. Of these the building now used for contagious diseases and the out-patient clinics would remain practically unchanged.

The new building would have, besides needed operating rooms, wards and private rooms for twice as many patients as can be now accommodated. The main building with minor changes would suffice for the administration offices on the first floor, and for the nurses and maids on the floors above.

Owing to the impossibility of securing more land, the only location of the new building is the present site of the contagious wing, which it is proposed to move north toward Mt. Auburn Street. This would involve a considerable cost, but again would be an ideal location for the new building. Total cost would be in the neighborhood of $600,000, no funds have been collected yet.