START PRACTICE EARLIER

There are numerous reasons for maintaining the view that football practice should start a week earlier than is the present case at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. First and foremost the players and coaches both want it. Word to this effect has been received from both New Haven and Princeton; while a recent informal survey of Harvard's squad and coaching staff indicates the same generally prevailing opinion. The men feel that injuries would be fewer, and that they would be able to meet on something approaching an even basis their early season rivals, who begin practice earlier.

There are no valid reasons for opposing an earlier start. The howl of overemphasis which some would inevitably set up has no logical foundation. If a college is to have a football team, it is not overemphasis to give the team an even chance against its opponents.

Some advocate slashing the schedule so as to allow another week of preliminaries. This would, in a way, meet the situation, but at the same time it seems unnecessary. The length of the present schedule is satisfactory; it is the limitations on the beginning of practice which needs attention.

The proposed change would necessitate an alteration in the famous H-Y-P three presidents' agreement. The CRIMSON can see no reason why this document should be considered sacred or even important: If it needs to be changed to meet present needs, by all means change it.