CREW SEASON OPENS AT MEETING MONDAY

Coaches H. H. Haines, C. J. Whiteside Will Address Gathering at Smith Halls Common Room

Candidates for the University and 150-pound crews will hear the outline of the spring rowing plans when they gather on Monday afternoon at 5 o'clock in Smith Halls Common Room for the first call of the 1930 rowing season. Coaches H. H. Haines and C. J. Whiteside who are handling the University eights for the present, will address the assembled sweepswingers at the afternoon meeting and again at 7 o'clock when the Freshman oarsmen gather for the introductory meeting.

The crews will continue the tank practice which was interrupted by the mid-year examinations, until the river is free from ice, probably during the early part of March. Crews have been rowing this year, contrary to the practice of preceding seasons, in graded order and four crews have already been selected in the first division of aspirants for University berths.

During the fall rowing season there were no attempts made to grade the oarsmen but since then the coaches have selected a number of candidates of high calibre and these men will participate in a regular competition even before the shells have been shipped on the Charles. The problem of finding an adequate stroke oar, is, as it was last year, the most vexing problem confronting the coaching staff.

Several men have been mentioned as likely candidates, including J. E. Lawrence '31, who stroked an ineligible crew last year and the combination crew during the 1928 season; P. H. Watts '31, who stroked the Jayvee crew in the races against M. I. T., Cornell., and Yale last year; S. W. Swaim '31, who stroked the University eight against Tech and Cornell, and the Second University eight against Penn and Navy on the Severn last spring; and T. N. Perkins, Jr. '31, formerly of the 150-pound rowing staff.

There is an average amount of good material for the University shell, while the Freshman prospects are reported to be of greater promise than in many years.

In addition to coaches Haines and Whiteside, Captain L. W. Dickey '30 and R. F. W. Smith '30, manager, will address the meeting. F. R. Sullivan '27, coach of the 150-pound crews will speak to the light-weight candidates and it is expected that Dr. Edward Harding '11 will give a few tips on training at both gatherings.