FRESHMAN WINS NATIONAL INDOOR TENNIS DOUBLES

E. B. WARD '30 AND J. B. FENNO JR. '21, ARE ELIMINATED

R. T. Murphy '33 and his partner Miss Mianne Palfrey, 18-year old Brookline tennis star, have won their way to the championship in the National Indoor Mixed Doubles Tournament which was contested at the Longwood 'Cricket Club in Brookline.

Having disposed of Miss Louise Baker and A. S. Roberts and Miss Virginia Rice and J. B. Fenno, Jr. '21 Thursday, they won a hard fought match with Miss Marjorie Morrill and H. M. Coggeshall 1L yesterday afternoon. The score of the match which led them through the finals was 1-6, 6-2, 9-7. The game went from one side to the other for the first two sets and then tightened up in the last set. Miss Palfrey's play has been the feature of the tournament and her steadiness and concentration have enabled her to reach the final bracket in the National Women's Singles as well as in the mixed doubles. Steady team work with occasional bursts of brilliant play has been largely responsible for the success of the young players. Their first matches were won with little difficulty but their later contests drew from them a quality of play superior to that shown in the earlier part of the tournament.

Other Harvard men who took part in the mixed doubles were E. B. Ward '30, who played with Miss Dorothy Blodgett; M. T. Hill '30, who was paired up with Miss Annette Hollis; and Fenno.