HEY! HEY!

Englishmen, in the light of American progress, are considered notoriously backward. Various exaggerated accounts are wafted across the Atlantic concerning the tea hour in business offices and regulation of theatre-program jokes. With this opinion firmly in mind, the average American notes with great amusement the news from London that the Times is to make a radical departure in the direction of human interest and, owing to the increasing popularity of the cross-word puzzle, will include one such feature daily in its pages, in addition to the usual chess problem. With--a hearty laugh the business man turns to an adjoining column to find that for the first time in ten years Congress is to open discussion on the Prohibition question. Perhaps he becomes aware of that unpleasant feeling which follows untimely mirth--perhaps not. But the utter ridiculousness of the similarity is not to be evaded.

There is something sublimely absurd in this picture of Congress, having slumbered for ten years in blissful and complacent ignorance awakening to find the house in flames. One feels like shouting in impish glee, "Jump, jump, we've got a blanket." But of course it is too late and the venerable figure must struggle through the flames, in the extreme likelihood of having his whiskers singed to the cheek.

There is undoubtedly a moral to this, too obvious to point out, and the crowd will await the outcome with patience--but fortunately. Englishmen are also noted for their self-restraint.