THE WESLEYAN PARLEY

The trend of the times indicates that the intelligent way to argue is to do it in the form of parleys. The younger contemporary of the London Parley, the Wesleyan annual discussion, an invitational affair, is to be held this year on American Business and Government. If the flery duel between Norman Thomas and Admiral Plunkett at the 1928 conference on War is any criterion, the impending and more pertinent argument on domestic conditions between lending statesmen and commercialists should be productive of an excellent display of pyrotechnics.

The importance of the conference, however, is not so much in the presence of older man and the projection of their opinions, but rather in the round-table discussions by the undergraduates on the affairs of the day. An expression of the collegian attitude by a half hundred delegates from all types of universities and schools must, to a large degree, be representative of the student attitude. Any discussion of Prohibition, and such a subject must necessarily be included in an analysis of modern American government and economics, will naturally focus attention on a large class of citizens, who have heretofore been quite reticent on the theory and practice of the Eighteenth Amendment. Although, in the eyes of some persons, students may be better qualified to debate on education and athletics, their contribution to the mass of material on government and industry will prove at least novel. At any rate, the ancient adage that the younger generation should confine its personality to the desert air is going to receive another setback.