Cigar-Chewing Cops in Ash-Strewn New Lecture Hall Hear District Attorney Condemn Bullying the Motorists

In the New Lecture Hall, where annually the mysteries of medieval unity and modern multiplicity are expounded, some 700 policemen in plain clothes recently heard District Attorney Robert T. Bushnell explain methods of avoiding the pitfalls of cross-examination in court by clever "rapid-fire" criminal lawyers and counsel against bullying autoists. The officers of the law took no notes, and their numerous cigars created a haze which busy ventilators failed to dissipate, but their interest in the district attorney's talk was so keen that they were unanimous in voting for a continuation.

Bushnell stressed the fact that "twelve men for woman, God help us are still twelve human beings who react to honesty and chicanery just as we all do. In testifying before them, avoid the 'smart-aleck' attitude, the dogged attitude, and nervous hesitancy. Keep your temper. A clever cross-examiner will draw you out, emphasize your faults, and so discredit your testimony in the eyes of the jury. But the policeman armed with the truth has a 90 per cent advantage over any crooked lawyer."

The district attorney urged his hearers against acting as the masters of the public instead of as their servants. The officer who bullies motorist is prejudicing a future junior against the poli may testify before him. In Whalen's words, "he is not sell Police Department to the publi.