CRIMSON ONE MILE RELAY TEAM WINS IN UNICORN GAMES

Oscar Sutermeister '32 Ties With Fred Sturdy, Former Yale Star, But Fails to Reach Final Height

The much-touted Harvard one-mile relay team rose to the highest expectations in the Unicorn games Saturday night at the Arena, distancing its Blue rivals by fully 40 yards. Yale suffered its Waterloo when Charles Engle, fleetest of the Eli runners, slipped as he was passing the baton to his anchor Tuttle, who dropped the stick. It seemed, however, to the more critical among the spectators in the thinly populated Arena that the race would have borne a Crimson tinge even if Engle had made a perfect pass, for Vernon Munroe Jr. '31 ran his quarter in under 50 seconds.

V. L. Hennessey '30. returning to the Crimson relay fold for the first time since his restoration to scholastic eligibility, bided his time in the first lap, but then passed his Blue rival to hand the baton to his teammate with three yards to spare. F. E. Cummings '30 ended the second leg of the journey with an additional two yards. E. E. Record '32 had difficulty in holding his own against Engle, probably the fastest quarter-miler on this side of the Mississippi. The Yale star passed him, but Record called forth a spurt in the last lap which placed him on even terms with Engle. Then came the fatal pass, and Munroe's sterling quarter. The race was clocked at 3 minutes 26 4-5 seconds, which equaled the best time of the night.

There were two other bright moments which augured well for the Crimson fortunes in the H-D-C meet February 24 and the subsequent I. C. 4A. games. Oscar Sutermeister '32, in his first intercollegiate competition as a University pole-vaulter, tied Fred Sturdy for first place at 13 feet, 4 inches. The ex-Yale luminary cleared 13 feet, 7 inches when the pair vaulted off for the supremacy. B. E. Estes '32 ran a game race in the gruelling two-mile run, which was won in 9 minutes, 36 seconds by Hagen, of Columbia, present intercollegiate champion.

F. V. Nissen '30 walked away with a third in the 40-yard dash, after placing second to Daley of Holy Cross in the semi-final heat. The time was 4 3-5 seconds. Captain T. F. Mason '30 was the victor in his preliminary heat, but was put out in the semi-finals. F. J. Mardulier '30 won the fourth heat in the 45-yard high hurdles, but was outclassed by such timber toppers as Monty Wells and MacDonnell of Holy Cross.

Harvard placed second to Bates in the grilling two-mile relay, with Holy Cross finishing a poor third. W. C. Rowe '31, J. W. Fobes '32, David Cobb '31, and N. P. Hallowell '32 comprised the local contingent. The formidable Holy Cross threat was removed when Hegarty, Purple leadoff man, fell on the first turn. The last race, between Hallowell and Russell Chapman, Garnet anchor man, was nip-and-tuck all the way. In the last stretch Chapman, with his superior experience, forged ahead and won by four yards. The time was 8 minutes 2 4-5 seconds.