TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP

The announcement that Harvard's naval training unit will henceforth include infantry drill as a regular part of its curriculum marks a sensible conclusion to a protracted period of controversy with naval headquarters at Washington. The move came as a belated but effective attempt to forestall any possible removal of the naval unit, when it was definitely learned that, in case of war, collegiate naval officers would be drawn exclusively from the six universities, of which Harvard is at the present time one, maintaining training units. Conditions in the University's naval department have not been entirely satisfactory to Washington since its establishment four years ago. At this time sturdy opposition to the introduction of formal drill on the ground that it was too militaristic prevented its introduction here and nearly caused the removal of the entire unit to Princeton.

The R. O. T. C. is certainly less militaristic than a regular standing army, the only alternative: in theory it stands for defense rather than actual warfare. If the Naval Department is to maintain a training unit in Harvard at all, it is futile to argue that any one part of its curriculum is more militaristic than another. Marching is no more martial than a technical knowledge of naval gunnery, and plays at least as important a part in the making of an officer. Furthermore, Naval Science has unfortunately been branded as a snap course, offering an easy grade and, if the undergraduate so desires, a pleasant summer cruise. Compulsory drill every week will have the added advantage of discouraging the student seeking "gentlemen" grades with a minimum expenditure of energy.

Such a concession to Washington is the only logical move under the circumstances, as harmonious relations with the Navy Department, and a more serious level for Naval Science, are indispensable for the successful maintenance of Harvard's naval unit.