BASEBALL DINNER SET FOR TONIGHT

Winners of Wendell Bat and Wingate Trophy to be Announced--Janvrin Will be Introduced

The 1930 baseball season opens officially at 6.30 o'clock this evening, when the annual dinner for all men who have been awarded their baseball "H" will be held at the Varsity Club. This meeting is the direct preliminary to the call next Tuesday afternoon of all battery candidates for the University nine.

Harold Janvrin, who will pilot the Second University team this spring, will be introduced at the gathering tonight. Janvrin, who played the keystone sack for the Boston Red Sox during their championship days, has also seen major league service with the St. Louis Cardinals and Brooklyn Dodgers.

The assembly tonight will be of a very informal nature. W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, Coach F. G. Mitchell, and Captain F. E. Nugent '30 will deliver a few words as to hopes for the coming season.

One of the features of the evening will be the presentation of the Dana J. P. Wingate Trophy and the Wendell Bat. Both these trophies are awarded annually. The former is given to the best all-around player on the team, while the Wendell Bat is awarded on the basis of a point system. Points are recorded on the basis of safe arrivals at first base, sacrifice hits, stolen bases, and runs scored.

Last year J. P. Chase '28, second baseman on the nine two years ago, received both awards. In 1928, H. W. Burns '28, probably the fastest man ever to cavort on Soldiers Field turf in a baseball uniform and captain of the 1928 nine, was the recipient.

All Sophomore candidates for Second Assistant Baseball Manager will foregather at 1.30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the H. A. A