REINTEGRATION

Humanism is an old word; it has been used in the past to represent the movement away from rigid scholarship towards life, away from rigidity of subject matter towards its interpretation in common experience. However the "New Humanism" of Dr. George Sarton deals exclusively with the broadening of the scientific viewpoint of determining its relation to history, and it is on this subject that he will deliver the three Colver lectures at Brown University this spring.

In the world of today where specialization is the rule, knowledge is apt to become segregated into small pigeon holes. While science and soviet are busy breaking stained glass, any movement which destroys the barriers between departments of learning and shows their common foundation in life performs an invaluable service.

It is especially fitting that a man who stands for this form of liberalism should represent Harvard as a visiting lecturer at another New England university with which a tradition of good will has prevailed for so many years in both academic and athletic fields. Just as the humanizing of knowledge produces wisdom, so does a friendly intercollegiate relation produce excellent results in the classroom and on the playing field. It is a pleasant hope that such a relation will continue to exist between Harvard and her Providence neighbor.