GEOLOGISTS WILL VISIT EUROPE AND SWISS ALPS IN SUMMER FIELD TRIP

TRIP IN ACCORDANCE WITH GIFT OF R. W. SAYLES '01

Announcement has been made by the Departments of Geology and Geography concerning the summer work of 1930, open to graduate and undergraduate students of Harvard. This work, in brief, includes a field trip in northern New York, and in the Swiss Alps, and one in northern Europe.

The region around Lake Champlain, New York, rich in Paleozoic rocks, crystalline rocks, glacial, and post-glacial formations, will furnish an abundance of material for students who have completed courses in Geology 4 and 5 or their equivalent. The party, under the tutelage of A. C. Swinnerton, professor at Antioch College, will be formed at Ticonderoga, New York, July 7. From there, the group will continue to the borders of Lake Champlain, near which a five weeks' study of field methods and geologic structure will ensue. Members of the party will have tents and cots furnished for their use.

Any men who are prepared for research work may enter Geology 20, if approved by the instructor in charge. The study will be conducted in accordance with the terms of the gift of R. W. Sayles '01, and will be accepted as a half course toward degrees of A.B., A.A., S.B., or graduate courses.

A deposit of $150 will be made by each student on arrival at Ticonderoga to cover charges for food, camp equipment, and transportation. A registration fee of $5 and tuition fee of $30 must be paid to the Bursar on or before June 1, by those wishing to participate in the work.