COMPROMISE

A sensible point of view concerning the question of intramural sports is voiced by the Boston Herald in a today's press. Be it ever so humble, there is more at stake in an intercollegiate contest, more definitely are the opponents aligned against each other, and more keenly does the participant feel his importance and his common cause.

Nevertheless, for him who for the love of the game and the benefits of exercise alone enters the field of athletics, the thrill of intercollegiatism may have little or no appeal. He may represent his college in other fields, but as far as organized athletics are concerned, an hour or two put to good physical advantage is sufficient. Intramural athletics provide an opportunity for this more tempered enthusiast who does not wish to make sports the sum total of his extra-curricular activity. However, the day "when ten Harvard teams will meet Yale's ten" might well fulfill this function and further induce some to compete who otherwise would not be interested. As a method to provide more exciting athletic interests for the many and to promote closer acquaintance with other colleges, the ideas suggested by Mr. Bingham's report deserve consideration.