PROFESSOR HART GIVES LECTURE ABOUT TALKIES

FUTURE OF EDUCATIONAL FILMS DISCUSSED IN INTERVIEW

Professor A. B. Hart '80, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, Emeritus has made several talking pictures in cooperation with the University Film Foundation during the past year and a half and is now at work on a picture depicting the history of Massachusetts, which will be used in the Tercentenary celebration it was announced yesterday.

In discussing the movies with a CRIMSON reporter, Professor Hart said, "I believe that these pictures on which I have collaborated will be used only as historical records. No doubt during the course of years there will be other similar celebrations, and in the programs of these will be included the pictures which are being made today.

"The possibilities of the talking movie are being overrated, in my opinion", he continued, "for I have found in my teaching experience that the most important element in teaching is the personal touch of the instructor.

"Predictions have been made that pictures would do away with the lesser known educators and leave only those on top to do the teaching but these predictions have failed to take into account the personal element. After all, it is better for a student to get personal attention from a second-rate instructor than impersonal lectures from the highest man in the field. As historical milestones talking films have an assured future but as a medium of education their future is limited to a large degree."