30 COLLEGES MAY BE IN COLLEGIATE SWIMMING RACES

Large Natatorium Will be Flooded by February 17--Gallery Seats Nearly 1400 Persons

It is expected that the swimming pool in the new gymnasium will be ready for flooding by February 17 and will be thoroughly conditioned for the National Collegiate Associate swimming meet to be held March 28 and 29 when more than 30 colleges, members of the Association, are expected to be in competition.

Among the colleges that have expressed their intention of sending swimmers to participate in the ten events are Michigan, Fordham, Northwestern, New York University, Minnesota, Columbia, Williams, Amherst, and Springfield. It is hoped that Yale will be included in the list.

Swimming Probation

The small pool of the new gymnasium is practically completed while the large pool is approximately three quarters tiled. The larger pool was built with special care to make it as smooth as possible for competitive swimming. It is designed to give a minimum of side and back wash. The stands by the pools will seat about 1400 persons, and for the intercollegiate meet there will be accommodations for standing spectators. The completion of the pools will fulfill the stipulation of the donor of the first gift, Alumnus Aquaticus, that they be finished by the end of this month. The smaller pool was designed for the use of men who are learning to swim. A fact not generally known was brought out when the purpose of this pool was explained. Harvard will not grant a degree to a candidate who cannot swim and undergraduates are liable to probationary measures if they have not learned to swim by the end of their sophomore year.

The intercollegiate meet, which is the seventh annual competition of the Association, will be managed by R. L. Hoguet Jr. '31, who will be manager of the Harvard swimming team next year. Harvard will not be represented in this intercollegiate competition.