Discovery of New Planet Increases Known Size of Solar System by One Third--Scientific Importance Exaggerated

"It is quite difficult to realize that the dimensions of our solar system have definitely been proven to be more than thirty-three per cent greater than the past $4 years of observation have shown them to be," declared Leon Campbell, of the Harvard Observatory staff, in an interview yesterday. "Of course, we have always known that the space occupied by our system was larger than our observations of Neptune showed, but such sudden definite proof is certainly very awing.

"There can be no doubt but that the discovery of the Lowell Observatory is of very great value in this respect," continued Campbell. "Such definite knowledge of the greatness of the solar system in which we live cannot help but lead to more valuable discoveries. The discovery of this trans-Neptunian planet, for instance, makes it very much more likely that still other planets will be found in the future.

"I fear, however, that the newspapers have rather exaggerated the scientific importance of the new find. There is, of course, a great value that must be attached to our new knowledge. But there have been other finds during past years that have had a greater scientific value. Thus, it is not the 'greatest scientific find of the ages', as some enterprising reporter with a bent towards hyperbole so nicely dubbed it. The discovery of the composition of the sun was a find of just as great, if not greater importance.

"I do not want, however, to detract at all from the great credit that is due to the Lowell Observatory for making the find. These men set up their great telescope, the 13-inch Triplet, the funds for which were donated by President Lowell, expressly to find the predicted planet and with great skill they managed to get its image on one of their photographic plates. Too much honor cannot be accorded such fine astronomical calculations."