GREEN GODDESSES

Dartmouth sentiment upon the vital issues, wine, women, and song, crystallized in the annual senior preference poll, shows some unexpected results. The gentile old fashioned atmosphere which has enveloped Hanover ever since a certain young lady who wore curls and shuddered at the sight of cigarettes found herself Dartmouth's Carnival Queen has been rudely dispelled by an emphatic vote of approval for brown eyes, black hair, and "speed" of an unspecified amount from Dartmouth seniors. A public led by impressionistic journalists to believe that a demure Dartmouth student body picks its feminine ideals out of Cooper's novels and that the height of conviviality in Hanover is represented by an ice cream soda, should be jolted from smug approval by that word "speed", which while not specific, somehow manages to convey an impression of cocktails and rumble seats.

The Dartmouth seniors disposed of the song situation very effectively by choosing Rudy Vallee as their favorite movie actress. Although the vagabond lover became involved in a close race with Joan Crawford, it is comparatively safe to assume that the majority of student movie goers are in close accord with the final verdict of the Nougat critics.

As for wine, a majority vote of two hundred for the repeal of the eighteenth amendment would seem to make all comment superfluous.