THE MAIDENS LAMENT

A wail exemplified in today's Press, arises from the down-trodden masses of females who inhabit the college on the other side of the Common. Man, with his brutal instincts, has shoved cowering womankind from her place in the sun. While Harvard, heralded far and wide as the innovator of the House Plan, has swelled triumphantly, somebody has tried to prick the bubble by cracking the old one of "I've heard that before." After patiently enduring the quips and cranks of newspapers' showering encomium on Harvard, the demure and reticent damsels of Radcliffe have determined to toot their own horn. "Gallons of printer's ink," they believe, have been wasted in lauding Harvard's "adventurous spirit" while they, who have had a house plan for decades, are enduring the spurns that patient merit of the unworthy takes.

Perhaps the ladies might obtain the desired notoriety by informing the country's press of their precedence to Harvard's house plan. But in doing this, it might be well for them to mention incidentally that Oxford happened to adopt a system something like the house plan in the fourteenth century.