NINE TAKES TWO ON APRIL TRIP, LOSES FOUR CLOSE GAMES

Devens and MacHale Both Turn in Two Top-notch Games--Batting Averages Fattened in C. U. Tilt

After more than a full week of competition, including the opening game of the season on Soldiers Field with Boston University and five tilts on the annual Southern trip the record of the University baseball team now stands at two victories and four defeats. It is a rather shaky start that Coach Mitchell's charges have made and compares none too favorably to the records of the last three years when the Crimson nine lost only one game each time.

The consoling part of the trip, however is the fact that the victories were both clean-cut triumphs while the defeats all were by close scores, two by one run margins and two by two run margins. The brightest day of the trip was Wednesday when an 8 to 2 victory over the Quantico Marines avenged a grudge of two years standing. That was also the first win of the season since before that the Pioneers of Boston University had captured the opener 5 to 3 and Devens had been shaded in a pitching duel by Wallace of William and Mary, 1 to 0.

After the game with the Marines Harvard traveled up to Washington to play Georgetown the day after the Hill Toppers had trimmed Yale 4 to 2. The Crimson was forced to accept a defeat by a similar score at their hands, playing at the Washington Barracks before the largest crowd that has watched a college ball game in the capitol city in several years. Remaining over in Washington another day the Crimson nine came out of its batting lethargy and fattened its average at the expense of four Catholic University hurlers while burying the Cardinals under an avalanche of 18 hits, including two homers and a double by Tickner and two triples by McGrath, and running up a 21 to 4 score. Saturday found the Harvard team in New York, the guests

The summary:

100-yard dash--Won by V. L. Hennessy '20, second, M. smither (W); third, J, B. Hawes '32. Time 9 4-5 sec.

220-yard dash-Won by Smither (W); second, Hennessy; third, tie between T. F. Mapon '30 and F. N. Nisson '30. Time--22 sec.

440-yard dash--Won by Vernon Munroe '31; second, F. 10. Cummings '30; third, J. Clark (W). Time--49 3-10 sec.

880-yard run--Won by David Cobb '31; second, W. Johnson (W); third, J. W. Fobes '32. Time--1 min., 56 3-10 sec.

One-mile run--Won by N. P. Hallowoll '32; second, B. 10 Iostes '32; third, R. Zabel (W). Time--4 min., 27 3-10 sec.

Two-mile run--Won by R. C. Aldrich '31 second, J. M. Fox '32; third, W. Renn (W). Time--10 min., 5 2-5 sec.

120-yard high hurdles--Won by E. E. Record '32; second, F. J. Marduller '30; third, E. B. Cole '32. Time--14 9-10 sec.

220-yard low hurdles--Won by Record; second, W. C. Rowe '31; third, Cole. Time 24 1-2 sec

Pole vault--Won by Oscar Suterneister '32; second, C. E. Dunlap '30; third, W. Willis (W). Height--12 ft., 6 in