Hub Theatrical Notes

Beginning next Fall a new movement, and perhaps the most impressive one in recent years for the theatre-going public, is to be launched at the Plymouth Theatre. Essentially it is another subscription series, somewhat similar to the one practiced by the Theatre Guild at present. Under the leadership of an organization known as The Professional Players, six of the outstanding dramatic companies and plays are to be presented at the Plymouth, each for a four-week engagement; the first, already definitely selected, is to be Philip Merivale in "Death Takes a Holiday", which is now enjoying a long run in New York.

This new idea in the Boston Theatre seems to be more a step on the part of the audience rather than of the producers. The main motive behind the group's taking the initiative is indicative of their desire to bring drama to Boston which would otherwise ordinarily not be shown on the road. Incidentally, the Professional Players are to have the choice of the plays to be presented for the entire 24 weeks.

The list submitted by the Shubert Theatre Corporation, which will have charge of the presentations, includes many of the leading vehicles now playing in New York, and several running in London and on the Continent. Although the final selections have not as yet been made by the committee in charge, all of them have been quite definite successes. Sir Arthur Pinero's "Dr. Harmer's Holiday" is the one which the eminent dramatist has refused to give permission to produce for the last ten years because of his belief that none of the producers could find the right actor for it. It is understood that he has at last released the play providing a certain prominent actor will play the title role. The play has recently been published in book form. One selection is A. A. Milne's "Success" which the Harvard Dramatic Club produced last Fall. "In The Zone" by Eugene O'Neill is another on the list. "Nine Till Six", by Amy and Philip Stewart, and the feminine counterpart of "Journey's End" in that only women are in the cast, may be shown in Boston. This novelty is now running in London.

Walter Ferris, author of "Death Takes A Holiday", has done an American version of the Hungarian, Arpad Posztor's "Dice". This too is on the Professional Players' list. Another is "As You Wish Me". Pirandello's latest sensation which was produced in Milan last month. The wide interest shown in the Professional Players Organization has already resulted in a large number of subscriptions being taken.