Work on New Biological Institute To Start Within Next Few Months

Final Choice of Site Near Semitic Museum Confirmed--Design Not Completed

Work on the new $6,000,000 building which is to house the University's Biological Institute will definitely begin within the course of the next few months, it was learned from authoritative sources yesterday. At the same time G. H. Parker '87, director of the Zoological Laboratory and chairman of the committee considering plans, stated that, while blue prints are being exchanged with the University architects, Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch, and Abbott, the plans for the actual design of the building are not as yet completed.

It is expected, however, that the building will contain no lecture halls, as those in the University Museum fulfill present needs. Instead, it will be devoted to laboratories, research rooms, and administrative offices, as the facilities of the University Museum, constructed in 1859, are inadequate for modern biological work.

Land for the new building was purchased in April, 1929, and it was expected that construction would begin last September. The site, which has been definitely picked, is the plot of ground across Divinity Avenue from the museum, a little to the east of Divinity Hall and the Semitic Museum. It is expected that the structure will be in the shape of an "L", projecting between the two latter buildings.

In July, 1929, the house occupied by Horace VanEveren at 13 Kirkland Place was moved southward 30 feet to make way for the Biological Institute. At the same time the residences of Professor W. W. Fenn '$4 and of Professor G. F. Moore, Hon, '06 Emeritus, were moved north.