HARVARD SCORES 8 IN FIFTH TO WIN OVER COLBY 12 TO 8

First Baseman Takes Clouting Honors With Two Circuit Drives--Starting Pitchers Both Fail

Lining out eight successive hits in the--fifth inning of yesterday's ball game with Colby, Harvard's baseball team scored eight runs and wiped out a six run lead that the Maine team had amassed in the earlier innings and put the game on ice, eventually winning by a score of 12 to 8.

Brown had pitched a heady game up until the fifth and seemed to be coasting along under a comfortable lead. He had allowed only four hits and had come through the previous innings in fine fettle but a walk to Batchelder started him off on the wrong foot, and, after Devens went out on an infield play, Bassett got the hit that really began the rally. After that came singles by Nugent and McGrath and then Ticknor sent them all home on a triple to right. Wood followed this up with a homer, the first of two that he garnered, and, after two more singles Batchelder cleaned the bases again with a three base hit. That ended the hitting and scoring and also Brown.

Harvard Rally Needed

Harvard's rally in the last half of the inning was necessary because Colby had staged one of its own in the first part. The Maine aggregation had chalked up four runs which, added to a previous four, gave it a commanding lead. Page, starting Crimson pitcher, was forced to retire under fire in this inning but not until Colby had practically batted around. The game was played with Coach Mitchell on the bench and the chances are that if he had been directing the team. Page would have been taken out earlier.

Devens came in with three on and no out and checked the rally with no further scoring, getting Donovan on an attempted steal of home, fanning Brown, and forcing Roberts to pop out.

Crimson Scores in Seventh

After the hectic fifth Harvard scored twice in the seventh when Wood collected his second homer on a hit to right-center and Des Roches immediately sent the center fielder running in the other direction for his clout to left-center that was also good for four bases.

Coach Mitchell shifted his lineup before the start of the game when Mays turned up with an infected eye. Carver went to second in his place and Bassett moved up to the lead-off position in the batting order. Wood and Ticknor also swapped places in the lineup. Ticknor replacing Wood in the clean-up position. Batchelder suffered a fractured finger in the seventh inning when a foul tip caught him on the index finger and he had to retire. HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  a  e Bassett, r.f.  5  2  2  1  0  0 Nugent, s.s.  5  1  3  3  1  0 McGrath, c.f.  5  1  1  1  0  0 Ticknor, l.f.  4  2  2  0  0  0 Lupien, l.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0 Wood, 1b.  4  2  3  12  0  0 Des Roches, 3b  4  2  2  0  2  1 Huntabic, 3b  0  0  0  0  0  0 Carver, 2b  4  1  1  0  1  0 Batchelder, c.  2  1  1  6  1  0 Fincke, c.  1  0  0  4  0  0 Page, p.  1  0  0  0  4  1 Devens, p.  3  0  0  0  1  1 Totals  39  13  16  27  11  4 COLBY   ab  r  h  po  a  e Roberts, c.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0 Karkos, r.f.  5  1  1  8  0  0 Levett, l.f.  5  8  2  1  0  0

ab  r  h  po  a  eKlusick, s.s.  5  2  2  1  1  0Hedderigg, c.  4  1  0  8  1  0Donovan, 1b.  5  1  2  7  0  0Ferguson, 2b.  5  0  2  1  1  1Deetjen, 3b.  5  0  3  3  2  0Brown, p.  3  0  0  0  3  0Mansfield, p.  1  0  0  0  1  0* Davan  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  43  8  13  24  9  1* Batted for Mansfield in 9th