Police Seize Poster and Bucket Placed on Lampost by the Harvard Square Deal Association--Recalls Cohen Incident

The members of the Harvard Square Deal Association, a group of undergraduates attempting to pay back the scrubwomen involved in the recent Widener Library "scandal", were halted temporarily in their publicity work on Saturday when police from the Brattle Square station seized a poster and a bucket that the members had placed on a lampost on Massachusetts Avenue and took the articles to the station-house.

The groups advertising a dance which it is going to give for the purposes of raising funds for the scrubwomen and has placed posters and buckets all over Cambridge in giving the affair publicity. One of the buckets, evidently one in which sympathizers were to throw their contributions, was hung on a lampost on Massachusetts Avenue, not far from Walter Hastings Hall. Captain M. J. Brennan, of the Cambridge station ordered two of his subordinates to seize the bucket and the poster in accordance with a city ordinance that prohibits the posting of advertisements on lamposts, telephone poles, and the like.

The incident recalls a similar one that occurred this past Fall when L. B. Cohen, leader of the Harvard Socialist Club at that time, was arrested and fined for distributing and posting circulars entitled "Welcome, MacDonald" in and around the Square.

Indications were last night that the officers of the Square Deal Association would not act immediately on the seizure of their, property. When queried last night one of the leaders of the organization said he knew nothing of the affair and that, as far as he knew, nothing would be done in the matter.