ECONOMICS IS MOST POPULAR FIELD AS 1933 MAKES CHOICE

History, and History and Literature Also Seem on Wane--Bio-Chemical Sciences Displacing Chemistry

As a result of a statistical study made at the office of Delmar Leighton '17, chairman of the Committee on Electives, figures were released yesterday that indicate the trend of the choice of fields of concentration by the Freshman classes of the past three years.

Economics again has attracted the most men for study, as it has for the last three years. In continuance with a steady gain over a long period of time enrollment figures for the classes of 1931, 1932, and 1933, respectively, read 125, 147, and 153. In consequence with the trend among pre-Medical School students to major in the field of Bio-Chemical Sciences instead of the traditional Chemistry, this comparatively new field, established in 1926, has realized increasing enrollments of 35, 61, and 73, while the straight chemical major has had decreasing numbers of 38, 26, and 22 students.

English is on the wane as far as concentration is concerned, since figures for the last three years show enrollment of 121, 105, and 92. In keeping with current articles deploring the growing disfavor of the Classics, this record in the study of the dead languages also shows a diminution, with 18, 17 and 9 for the past three Freshman classes.

History has also experienced a lessening in the number of students concentrating in the field. Enrollment figures of this subject are 83, 82, and 70 for the last three years. At the same time, the allied field of History and Literature has had followings of 43, 53, and 41.

Mathematics, a second old standby of educators, continues to attract, the enrollments for the classes of 1931, 1932, and 1933, being 31, 34, and 38 in order. In opposition to this, the field of Physics has had a decrease in membership, its numbers being 20, 18, and 15 for the period studied. Despite the falling off in the fields of English and Classics, the Romance Language department has had growing followers of 63, 67, and 82.