STANDISH CREW WINNER IN FRESHMAN REGATTA

HARDENBERGH TAKES WHERRY RACE IN INVITATION MEET

Minor crew events, in addition to regular practices by all the eights of the University and Freshman squads, kept the Charles River alive with craft yesterday afternoon. The feature event of the day's rowing was the race between the 1933 dormitory crews, in which the Standish eight came off victorious, with the Smith and McKinlock first crews following in that order. The winners will race Middlesex on May 28.

Gerard Jordan Cassedy '33, stroke of the 1933 eight, was elected captain of Harvard's undefeated Freshman crew after practice yesterday. He prepared for Harvard at Noble and Greenough, where he took part in four sports, football, hockey, track and crew. He was a member of the Freshman football squad last fall.

In the wherry race, the first event in the annual invitation regatta, C. M. Hardenbergh '33 was the winner. Other events, including single and compromise races, follow today.

6 Crews Entered

The dormitory race was held over a three-quarter mile course, six Freshman crews being entered. Standish, covering the course in a time of 5 minutes, 29 1-2 seconds, led the Smith eight by a length, the Smith oarsmen in turn heading the McKinlock first boat by three-quarters of a length. The other eights, in the order of their finish, were Gore I. Smith II, and Gore II.

The seatings of the first crew were as follows:

Standish 1--stroke, T. B. Eastland Jr. '33; 7, S. H. Stackpole '33; 6, O. C. Holder '33; 5, J. F. Russell '33; 4. F. M. Dearborn '33; 3, G. T. Johnson Jr. '33; 2. V. S. Chambers '33; bow, R. B. Lisle '33; coxswain, M. C. Fenning '33.