FOREIGN STUDENTS IN U. S. HAVE DOUBLED IN NUMBER

LATIN-AMERICAN NATIONS HAVE FALLEN OFF SOMEWHAT

A recent survey conducted by the Committee on Friendly Relations Among Foreign Students, subsidiary of the Institute of International Education, reveals that the number of foreign students studying in this country has more than doubled during the past ten years. The great influx of foreign students which commenced shortly after the World War has been most marked by the doubling of the numbers from the countries of Anglo-Saxon civilization.

The countries of Continental Europe have nearly trebled their apportionment when the figures for 1921-22 are compared with those of 1929-30. The growth of commerce between the German educational institutions and those of America has been amazingly rapid and the total number of visiting students from Germany is eight-fold what it was at the beginning of the third decade.

The influx from the Far East has increased from 2,449 to 3,190 and this comprises the slowest increase from any district of the world. Near East visitors have been augmented from 443 to 714 during the decade, while the Latin-American countries are the only ones to show a falling off. These numbers have diminished from 273 in 1921 to 127 in 1929.

Italy, together with Germany and France, sends the largest numbers to America. Canada sends 1200 of the 1700 students from Anglo-Saxon lands. China is the great donor of Eastern students, and sends about 1250 of them to this country every year. The figures from China have varied very little while the changes in ratio were taking place in the other nations.