HOLY CROSS ROMPS OVER CRIMSON NINE FOR 22-0 VICTORY

Slips Aid Purple to Pile Up Runs, Six in Fourth, Three in First--Fielding is Poor for Harvard

Harvard's baseball team sank to its low point of the year, Saturday at Soldiers Field when the Holy Cross team wore itself out romping around the bases to pile up a total of 22 runs, while the scoreboard showed nine goose eggs for the Crimson. The University diamond forces showed a surprising slump in all departments of the game; two pitchers were knocked off the mound and nine errors were chalked up against the Cambridge nine.

The Crusaders started the game with a bang, scoring three runs in the first inning. The support that Devens received, however, was enough to make any pitcher discouraged. Fisher opened the game by hitting the first ball pitched for a single. He went to second on a passed ball and after Dougherty popped out to Wood, Shevlin walked. Then Ryan hit an easy grounder to Nugent that should have meant a double play. The ball hit Nugent's leg, rolling to the side and the slaughter began.

Every man on the Harvard team was responsible for at least one error with the exception of Mays, Huxtable, and the three pitchers. Nugent was injured in the first inning and that may have accounted for his sloppy fielding later in the game. In that frame Mays went to first on a walk and Nugent followed with a scratch hit. MacGrath then sent the ball between first and second and while Marshall was fielding it Nugent collided with him. Time was taken out for the Harvard captain but he continued the game.

Six Runs

The Crimson team received its worst blows in the fourth and seventh innings. In the fourth, the Purple sent 11 men to the plate to get a total of three hits and six runs. Two errors and three bases on balls proved costly for Harvard. With thre men on base Devens walked Dougherty, forcing Hebert across the plate. In the seventh frame, the whole visiting lineup went to bat, six men going to the plate for their second time. After Lawrence made a home run with Dougherty and Shevlin on base, MacHale was sent in to relieve Devens but he was unable to stem the tide of hits. After six successive batters had singled he was removed and Page went on the mound. The southpaw was at least able to hold his own, for the Crusaders made only four more hits and one run. In that seventh inning 11 runs were added to the already large lead of the Worcester nine.

That Harvard's fielding was slow was shown in the seventh stanza. Ryan flied out to MacGrath in deep center field and after the catch Dougherty scored all the way from second base. Mays was the outstanding man on the Crimson team. He covered the shortstop territory efficiently without errors and made one hit in three times at bat. Nugent and McGrath each made two singles.

The poor quality of Harvard's playing semed greater in contrast to the snappy fielding and good headwork that characterized the Purple team.

The Crimson team will see its next action tomorrow when it meets a team of alumni on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock.

The box-score: HARVARD ab  r  h  po  a  e Mays, s.s.  3  0  1  3  0  0 Nugent, 2b.  3  0  2  2  4  3 McGrath, e.f.  4  0  2  4  0  2 Ticknor, l.f.  4  0  0  1  0  1 Wood, lb.  4  0  0  8  0  1 Huxtable, r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Des Roches, 3b.  4  0  0  2  2  1 Devens, p.  2  0  1  1  1  0 MacHale, p.  0  0  0  0  0  0

Page, p.  1  0  0  0  0  0Fincke, c.  3  0  1  4  0  1Totals  31  0  7  27  7