MANY FIELDS OF ACTIVITY OUTSIDE OF ATHLETICS OPEN TO CLASS OF 1934

CRIMSON OPENS DOORS TO 1934 AFTER MIDYEARS

For the Freshman who has just entered Harvard College, there are a host of activities other than those on the athletic field to which he may devote his spare time.

Almost at the very start of the fall, Monday at 11 o'clock, a call will be issued for candidates for the position of Freshman football manager. There is a competition of about seven weeks' duration, closing just before the game with the Yale Freshmen. At this time, a manager, as well as other subordinates, is chosen. Then, there will soon be announcements of competitions for the position of manager in the minor sports, soccer and cross country.

Publications

Another activity drawing many first year men will be the competition for any one of the three College publications: the CRIMSON, the Advocate, and the Lampoon. The CRIMSON does not call out candidates from the Freshman Class until after midyear examinations; the other two publications open contests during the fall, since a thorough knowledge of Harvard is not a requisite. Similarly, the Business Departments of these papers offer a great deal of experience, often very valuable, to their candidates. The Freshman Red Book draws many members.

Musical Clubs

Students musically inclined will find an outlet for their ambition in any one or more of several organizations. There are the Glee Club, the University Instrumental Clubs, and the Pierian Sodality; also, later in the year, the Freshman Class organizes its own Instrumental Club, divided into mandolin, banjo, band, and specialty groups. The University band, which plays at the football games, holds tryouts for candidates.

Religious and philanthropic activity is carried out through the Phillips Brooks House, through which students are enabled to engage in various types of social service work. Students interested in aspects of the stage may gain experience through both the Harvard Dramatic Club, and the Cambridge School of Drama.