LATERAL PASS EXPONENT GIVES DEMONSTRATION

VARIOUS PLAYS GIVEN TRYOUT IN DUMMY SCRIMMAGE

Frank Shaughnessy, the man who introduced the lateral pass at Harvard, dropped down for his annual visit yesterday and demonstrated Harvard's chief offensive weapon to the members of this year's football squad. Shaughnessy will be around for several days and will help out with the lateral pass coaching during his stay here.

Shaughnessy's demonstration was only one of the features of the morning's workout that was held on Soldiers Field, however, for the A and B teams of the first squad ran through a long dummy scrimmage in which play after play was given a thorough tryout. The backs were also given opportunity to pick their own holes during the session which consisted in giving first one team and then the other the ball in a long march down the field. No downs or score were kept track of.

Scrimmage Every Day

The workout today was only a taste of what the squad may expect during the remainder of the week for it is highly probable that Coach Horween's charges will have to scrimmage every day for the next four of five in succession. The seconds will furnish the opposition on at least two of these occasions.

The injury list was depleted by four yesterday when Faxon, Batchelder, Graves and Finlayson returned to active duty. Two others, however, White and Crickard, were kept out of all hard work as were, of course, the six remaining on the disabled list.

The feature of the afternoon's workout remained to be furnished by the Freshmen, 165 of whom reported to Coach A.E. French '29 for the first workout. This is without doubt the largest number that has reported for Freshman football in the last number of years and is encouraging in that this year's class may atone for the showing of last year's Freshmen on the gridiron. After going through calisthenics and a short drill for the linemen and backs most of the Freshmen were sent in in order to be able to attend the first meeting of English A.