MAN WILLS IT

The headlines of the press are subdued. The large dailies repress their screaming type, realizing the meaning of the reports of economic difficulties, political intrigue, and nationalistic outbursts over the world. The tabloids, too, are silent on world affairs but largely through ignorance of the import of these stirrings beneath the diplomatic cloak of the earth. Yet in increasing number and steadily growing discord the thousand dissonant notes seem to be merging, threatening to break out swiftly with the thunderous drum roll of war.

Students of economic history are wide awake these days. More than ever before it seems to be a fact that bread rules the world. The papers seem to realize how great a part they play in the control of the national temper. For bread and the press seem to be the key notes of the question. Publicity can be controlled by the press and intelligence is learning how to direct the distribution of bread.

But the flash of the moment is brightest and can move unsettled nations. Hitler and the Fascist gains in the Reichstag, Russia's tapping of her tremendous resources, the rumors of Russia's dealing on the world wheat market, the bickering in the League, China's militarism, Japan's watchful waiting, the naval break between France and Italy, the international tariff blockades, all these things and many more, make these days portentous. Sarajevo was but a spark, and there are signs of internal combustion the world over.

But with all things ripe for trouble, the battle will come before the war. Twelve years has not been too long for some people to remember; it has not even been long enough for some to forget. Neither in this country nor in many of the continental nations of Europe which have experienced a great growth of education coeval with the growth of nationalistic impulse in the past decade, will the flower of the nation blindly fling themselves in the dust. Youth has lost his patriotism and gained in understanding. If there is martyrdom and dying for the country it will not be because of the glory of a flag.

But against this determined stand of the new generation there are forces which have always been beyond man's control. The battle before the war will be the battle of passion against prudence, of propaganda against intelligence. It will also be the battle of economic needs against humane attempts at solution. The last war taught something, the last ten years have taught still more; the question is whether or not ten years has been time enough to learn.